Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Traditional Old Style Hand Made Bridge


        In the villages of Kerala, we can find these kinds of hand made brides here and there across small streams. Generally, these bridges are made out of bamboos, but the supporting poles that erect the bridge may be some other tree trunks. A scene such a bridge always reminds me about my childhood holidays in my mother’s house. The house is situated near Nadavayal in Wayanad. A paddy field and a steam separated the land from the forest. One of the events of our holidays, we always loved to remember was picnic to the nearby stream as well as the adjacent forest. There was a handmade bridge across the river, which was rarely used, since except during the rainy season, we were able to cross the river without a bridge. The creaking sound of the bamboos when we walk through such a hand made bridge gives us a different feeling. Even though the bridge may be swinging both sides as well as shaky, the bridge will be strong enough to carry many persons at a time. It is a funny scene when people who are not used to such bridges try to cross it. Similarly many, who lives in cities finds it difficult to walk easily through the narrow-high paths in paddy fields.

2 comments:

  1. hey deepu...

    ur photo helped me to brush up my grey cells and i m on my way back to late 80's..i am from a small but nice villge of idukki where i enjoyed my boyhood...even there used to be a small bridge above the small river(thodu).... now am in bangalore for the last 5 years and when i visisted my village four months back i got flabergasted that its not been there.... we thing we all are progressing to a world where we do not think about the values...i think we need to keep something for the next generations also...

    dileep tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dileep, thank you for visiting my blog and for the comments.

    I am happy to know that you are one amonth many who loves nature, and thinks that we should preserve what we enjoy today for the next generation.

    Idukku is one of the place I always love to visit, but in my 25 years of life, I got a chance to visit the place only during my childhood, I went along with my parents to Peechi Dam. But I don't remember much about that now. 9 months ago, I traveled from Bangalore to Ernakulam through Theni - Idukki - Kottayam.

    I reached Theni while the sun rise just happened, and the bus Climbed up the hill towards Idukki. I was fascinated by the natural beauty of Idukki, the snow covered green mountains, and the shining morning rays of the sun made the day.

    ReplyDelete