Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My First Sky Diving

Click On Images to see the highest available resolutions.

SKYDIVING IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY THAT CAN RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH. EACH INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT, REGARDLESS OF EXPERIENCE, HAS FINAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS OWN SAFETY
Skydiving has caused deaths and serious injuries.
Approximately one jump out of every 20,000 results in death.Parachutes do not always open properly. Parachutes have a malfunction rate of approximately 0.3%. On the average, they are expected to malfunction once in 333 activations

How about jumping from an altitude of 12000 feet (4 km) from a small open aircraft (no door), with a parachute, and falling down (Accelerated Free Fall – A.F.F) at a speed of about 180km/hour? Some claims that the experience is more than that of having sex.



I had to put my sign in about 30 or 40 places accepting the risk of death, due to malfunction of aircraft/instruments/parachute/physical conditions/ and a lot of other things. Yes, I agree, after all adventure is nothing but taking risk.






The must attend training reduces the risk of death factor a lot. A frantic inexperienced guy who screams and struggles while freely falling can cause trouble to the instructor too, not allowing him to take control and open the parachute. Eventually the instructor and the guy will end up spinning randomly in the air on very high speed, not able to do anything.





The crew consisted of four. The pilot, the instructor, who makes me jump, the photographer who jumps along with us to capture everything in the camera, and at last me. The instructor and the photographer were doing the same thing for the past 7 years it seems, jumping over 1000 times from the sky down to earth.






The aircraft was a very small one with a single engine situated at the front. In fact the space inside the air craft available for us was as small as a car, we four including the pilot, just fit into the available space. There was one entry to the aircraft, and that too was an open door. The door remained opened through out the flying time. Wav!!! It was such a great experience, flying in a craft, with an open door. The photographer seated next to the open door, and took a lot of photos while the aircraft attained the altitude.







The engine started with a roaring sound, and it took off from the run way. The roaring sound of the plane left us in a situation where we can communicate with each other only through signs. The pilot turned on the radio; he increased the volume to the max, so that we could hear some thing. As the aircraft slowly increased the altitude, the ground and objects down the earth became small, and not distinguishable, except for roads and big buildings. The Emirate – Umm Al Quwain slowly came into visibility, almost one third of the Island could be seen.






After reaching the height of 12000 feet, the instructor made me ready for the jump, he tightened the straps around my body, and attached the four clips on the straps to the one attached to his straps. We had a glance of the height. Then the photographer, almost hanged outwards and was hanging himself with one hand, on the supporting bar of the wing of the air plane, and taking photographs with the other hand of me and the instructor leaning outwards, with our legs placed on the small feet rest fitted on the road that supports the aircraft on the landing gears. Oh, I can’t hear anything!!! But I was in a position such a way that a slight push from the instructor will make me jump.







The photographer jumped first looking upwards to capture our jump on video and stills. The next second we jumped. We turned upside down for a while, and then regained the position. The instructor opened the small chute that guides the direction and aids to stop the random spinning of the jumper in the air. I felt the pressure difference in the air, and the speed increasing very fast. The acceleration was too much. Now I am experiencing 9.8 m/second raised to the power of two.








Now we are freely falling, the speed is increasing every second, the heavy air blow upwards due to the relative speed made it difficult for me to close my mouth. The drastic pressure difference in the air made my ear pain and I could not hear anything. No words could describe me what stunning feeling I had there up in the air. It was life time experience. Now I feel to do it again.







Within the span of a minute, we almost covered 3 by 4th of the total distance, now it is the time to open parachute, it is not safe to open the parachute at the last minute, with an inexperienced guy like me. When all of a sudden the parachute opened, the speed of free falling reduced from 200 km/hour to around 50 per hour. The sudden jerk created by the upward pull was too much. I felt pain on my legs and chest where the straps were wound. After the parachute was opened, it took another 4 minute to reach down earth. I enjoyed the landscape, the lagoons, the Umm Al Quwain landscape the sea and everything. I was asked to close my nose and blow the air out so that my ear opens after the drastic pressure difference over the altitude. The photographer opened the parachute very late, so that he can be ready there down the ground, to capture me landing. When opened the parachute, I really understood the speed we were falling down, since the photographer was still falling freely, and he was moving away from us as being shot from a Canon. Was I falling down in that speed!!! Oh my god!!!






Landing safely was another tough thing. The experienced instructor made us land exactly over the green patch near the run way meant for landing. Since we were almost falling down at the speed of around 40~50 km per hour, if something happens wrong like the position of legs, then there can be serious injuries but not probably death this time.







Thanks god, we are back safe. Thanks a lot to the wonderful job done by the instructor, the photographer, and the pilot. Now I can go home with a life time experience, and remember it for ever.
What I have done at the UAQ Aero club is Tandem Sky Diving. Tandem Skydiving is the safest way to experience skydiving for the first time. Two people, using one large parachute, is an ideal way where you can enjoy the thrill of skydiving with just a few minutes of instruction. Thanks to Shiji Badarudeen Lalla, my tech lead in Mercator who accompanied me as a friend and gave all the support and courage to face it without fear.

45 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh
    I could never do that!!!!
    Thank you for sharing such an amazing thing and the pictures were fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb!!!!
    The pictures & the description explained it all.. the fun u had....Great work!

    --- Sunitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..its really wonderful experience..read as if, i was a 2nd photographer through out with u people and landed on earth with a jerk... now i am thinking of any alternate idea for moving up with out instruments...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deepu happy to know that u r enjoying ur life in a very very splendid way with lots of adventures.Through ur descriptions & photos even i felt that i was also diving with u.That was a wonderful description yaar......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks dear dp, for visiting and leaving the comments.. Visit again. Mean while I could not visit your blog, your profile page says it is unavailable. Please share it..
    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sunitha,

    Thanks for visiting and leaving the comments.

    After all I believe that, life is like a cup of coffee, and what matters more is the coffee inside, and not the cup, the color of the cup, the decorations on it, and so on.

    Let us make this life remarkable, so that I feel nostalgia in the life after death, about this life too, as we feel about our childhood. :-)
    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hai Sreejith,

    Thanks a tone dear. Happy to know that the description I wrote gave a nice experience of the wondeful feelign I had. Hope more people will be ready to experience it after reading this post. :-)

    I think that (in the above context) moving down without an instrument makes you move up without an instrument... (This applies only if you believe in life after death)
    Just kidding :-)

    Visit again
    -Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mallan,

    Thanks for visitng and leaving the comments and I am happy to know that the description I wrote gave a good exposure of Sky diving to you all.
    I was editing this article yesterday late night, and the task was over by late 2:30 am. I had no more patience to check for erros, now I feel a lot could have been better, and a lot of errors. Please bear with me.

    Between, I could not visit your profile and the blog from there. The profile says it is unavailable. Please share so we all can visit your blog

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks deepu for that live explanation. waiting to hear more about it from you..

    see you here..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deepu..

    Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering
    can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
    It's really awesome....

    Can i know what was the inspiration behind this adventure?If can expecting the wonderful story...

    ReplyDelete
  11. He Renju,

    See you soon, back in Kerala or India, probably within next 10 days at the venue of Shameers marriage, I will be reaching back Bangalore on 31st, and will be there at Pattambi to attend Ikkas wedding on 1st of September. Will share videos and more photos then...

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jisha,

    Thanks a ton. You made my day. Those words in your comment truly rewarded my effort

    I am glad to share the true motivations behind this decision. Those motivations guided me much more than that of the pleasure of attending an adventurous program. After all "Motivation guides me" is the title description of my blog.

    Jisha, I tried to visit your profile and blog from there, thinking of sharing the exp as comment on your blog. But could not. So let me share it here in this article as comments but give me a few hours, I will share it here once I am back at my room after today’s office hours.
    It will be here by today 9:00PM IST.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent.....

    Thanks a lot for sharing such an amazing experience....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent.....

    Thanks a lot for sharing such an amazing experience....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent!!!!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your amazing experience with us...
    and nice pics...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Sabah...

    How are you? and Where are you now?

    You posted the comments three time, you clicked thirce I guess. Any way, I reap out of it, more comments on my page :-)

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jisha John,

    Let me share how I got inspired to perform the sky diving.

    There where lot of motivations behind me doing this. It was not just the fun of getting into a big adventure ride in a water theme park that made me do that, but rather a lot of interests and hobbies in my mind or reality, that I carried through out my life from child hood as well as blessings from almighty god t pursue my interests.

    Astronomy (not astrology) stellar science, stellar events getting reported in news, photography, painting, musical instruments, beautiful and unexplored natural locations, trekking to those places, traveling around the world, high altitude locations, view from such places, mountain tops, always drag my interest.

    Many of the above hobbies were not so easily achievable as a kid, or buy during my earlier life. But I use to fascinate about photography, space science and dreamt to become an astronaut. That was my dream, but my current job of a Software engineer… I love it and find a lot of thrills and wonderful experience from it.

    My late father supported me a lot, and then followed by mother to pursue up my extra academic interests. They sent me to learn painting, to learn guitar, tabla and many other interests. That was a great blessing form God.



    My craze for beautiful natural locations, wish to capture them wonderfully in photographs and present it to the rest of the world always pushed me to learn more about photography when ever I got a chance to meet a photographer. This was a continuous process from my child hood. But I was not able to make it a reality since photography was a costlier hobby. The wish came to a reality when my brother bought a very good film camera, and gave it to me. God blessed me by making me a son of Wayanad, once of the exotic districts in Kerala by natural beauty.

    After I got a job as a software engineer, I met lot of people who are interested in photography and my financial state allowed me to handle the costlier part of the hobby. I found my free time to travel to locations around Bangalore, Karnatata, Tamilnadu and all which were reachable by two days. My cousin brother Jose Abins Joseph gave me a lot company and support for the same.

    Despite all these my dream, doing a space journey or becoming an astronaut seems to be far away. But I followed my interests about it from books, and mainly NASA websites, open to all etc… I found blogging as a very good media for presenting my ideas, photography and everything. Blogging is actually not a hobby for me, but a media through I share my hobbies and its outcome to the rest of the world.

    Recently I got attention of the news about Santhosh George Kulangara, the famous photographer of the Asianet program – “Sancharam” getting ready for a space journey in 2009. He completed his training in zero gravity experience with the agency in USA one or two weeks before. The great scientist Stephen Hawking also includes in the list of those who traveled to space. His physical disability was not at all a criterion that determined his destiny, but his will.

    When I started my job in Middle East, I found it difficult very exiting natural greeneries across this country. And I was searching for something that really satisfies my hobby. Then I saw the featuring of the program Tandem Sky Diving in a television channel. My fascination for conquering heights, enjoying the beauty of the earth from high above, craze for photography, craze for adventure, craze for traveling everything seemed to be some how aligned with this program. Before that I asked many of my friends for a company for many other interesting activities. But I found it difficult to get some one who share the same madness with me. So I decided to do things alone, not waiting for any one. A solitary bike trip to Shivanasamudram form Bangalore was one of such lonely endeavors. I made up my mind, searched in internet about UAQ Aero club, got the contact details, called them up immediately and booked a day for my first sky diving.

    I could not satisfy one of my wishes of taking photographs by myself during the diving, since I could not find a way to attach the camera securely to my body because I lacked the necessary instruments. May be, I have to try again : - )

    Apart from all of these reasons, the feeling of conquering, feeling of achieving something, feeling of becoming one in thousands, or one in ten thousands or hundred thousands is beyond the expression by words.

    When I looked back to my life, I always felt nostalgia about wonderful and beautiful things I went through, so made up my mind to make every day, every week, every month, every year and the entire life a nostalgic one which I can always remember in my future or life after death : - )

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Deepu, its fantastic.........





    Sindhu

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Sindhu,

    Thank you very much for visiting and leaving the comments.

    Visit again.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Guts man.... real guts required.. even for Tandem diving...

    Umesh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you very much Umesh, Visit again.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Runcy....

    How are you? How is your new job in Kerala?

    See you there at Ikkas wedding if you are coming.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent, u made it!...waiting to c another adventurous venture like this from uuu..Any thoughts???...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Jinny, I have to find similar endeavors like this and do. It happens all of a sudden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Deepu,

    It was gr8 job. U are simply great.
    Nice photos and nice description.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sandeep,
    Thank you very much for visiting and leaving the comments. Hope you are doing fine. Bangaloril enthokke undu visheshangal?

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  27. Deepu,

    You described it so well that I could feel that I was a spectator of the whole expedition.
    It takes a lot to gather the courage when you have to scribe your signature for the consequence of this activity. For this you deserve couple of rounds of applauses.
    Congrats and a Good Job!

    Regards,
    Dhiman

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Dhiman,

    Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving the comments.

    In fact, it was your comment, that made me understood that my article is already published in MindTree portal. I was just waiting eagerly to see my article listed in Petals.

    Once again thanks for visiting, please visit again.

    Hope you are doing fine.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Deepu,

    Thanks for sharing. It was really thrilling just by reading your naration and for the wonderful pictures. I could really feel how it would be and excited me to take such a ride. I too love taking adventurous rides, but this one is ultimate. I wish I could take but even if I get a chance, I may not be able to take it as I had a knee surgery and that is stopping in doing such acts. It also stopped me in doing bungee jumping...
    But atleast I could know from you how thrilling it tould be.
    -Harsha

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Deepu
    Thanks for sharing. Really great. I felt the thrill in reading your description....
    applauses....

    Kumaran.
    Mindtree - Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Deepu..
    good writing on the experience.. wen i was going thru i was able to imagine myself there..
    Pavithra..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Harsha,

    Thank you very much for visiting my blog and leaving comments.
    More over it is really great to know that you too love adventures.
    I have never done Bunkie jumping till now, which I would like to do. I am waiting for an opportunity for that. Hope we can meet at some point of time, once I reach back MindTree Bangalore.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Kumaran,

    Thank you very much for visiting my blog and leaving comments.
    Hope you are also interested in adventurous activities. Have a nice time at MindTree Chennai. Right now I am in MindTree Middle East, and will be coming back to Bangalore soon.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Pavithra,

    Thank you very much for visiting my blog and leaving comments.
    I am really happy to know that I could take you through the experience I had there to some extend. I am glad if you visit again.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  35. great experience..
    i'm curious to know how much it cost :-)

    parimal.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Parimal,

    Thanks for the comments.

    It costs 1500 Dirhams

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  37. Realy superb...

    Ashwin (Mindtree Chennai)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Deepu, I am an avid traveller and came across your beautiful site the other day... this skydiving article is most wonderful indeed... gr8 job!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Raj,

    Thanks for the comments.

    Please visit again.

    Hope you too is from Wayanad.

    --Deepu George V

    ReplyDelete
  41. Simply awesome! Words can't describe the thrill!!

    ReplyDelete