Tuesday, October 05, 2004

My Bike


Click To Enlarge

I thought of updating the post about my bike, when I posted the first version of this article, my bike was not yet purchased, then I wrote I am about to buy Pulsar 150cc black. Yep, I bought it. I was about to buy the old model pulsar and when I reached the Bajaj auto shop, I was surprised to see the new Pulsar. A lot of changes to the design – magnesium alloy wheels (mag wheels), nitrox (some oxide of nitrogen) shock absorber, and reduced fuel tank capacity of 15 litre compared to the 18 litre of the old model, and doom style head light is not available and so on. I was utter confusion, whether to buy it or not. This was not the bike which I was supposed to buy. At last I made up my mind to take it, yes I bought the black 150 cc Pulsar with alloy wheels and nitrox shock absorbers and all.

Now it is more than 2 and half years since I bought the bike. I went to many long rides. The longest one was Hogennakkal trip which is blogged here. =>Hoggenakkal Trip. The bike traveled around 20000 kilometers by now and still I have not faced with any problems with the bike. The only one competition to the bike was Unicorn. These days, learning from the success of Pulsar every other two wheeler manufactures are trying to model their bike like Pulsar. Yes, by success I mean the number of vehicles sold, you can see pulsar any where. Recently Bajaj came up with new models of Pulsar – the complete black one (I did not like it personally) then the latest one with LED indicators and digital meters. But they have not added anything towards the performance of the vehicle.

Some problem I found with the bike is, even though it is very durable for long rides, the seating arrangement is pretty bad for a long drive, especially for the pillion rider. For long rides, Avenger’s seating arrangement is ultimate. Gear changing is a little bit trouble some when I try to change the gear 3-4 times all of a sudden in emergency situations. The gear slips into some intermediate positions producing some weary sounds. This happens for example when you need to down the gear all of a sudden from fifth to 2nd or 1st. But my experience with the engine made me do it perfectly. Still I can see a design problem of the gear box in it. I don’t think they have eliminated the issue in the new models also.

4 comments:

  1. Is fasr riding comes under your pasion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a long time, the first comment on this post...

    Yep Occasionally I like riding too fast..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sir,

    can u give me the total reserve fuel capacity and the usable reserve fuel capacity of ur PULSAR?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bala,

    I really do not know what is the exact usable reserve fuel capacity.

    Total reserver capacity was 2 litres if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete