Thursday, June 09, 2005

Nature at its Best - Wayanad

Let me describe two wonderful events I have witnessed during my trekking in the hills of Wayanad. These events are at the best when we watch them live. The description may not give the real feeling which I experienced.

When I reached the top of the hill it was almost 3:00 pm. I can see rain clouds in one side of the hill and the other side was clear atmosphere. As time neared 4:00 pm, I was able to see cluster of clouds touching the sides of a tall nearby mountain. Now I am standing at a higher altitude than the clouds. The wind increased and it started to rain. But it was not raining in the top of the hill where I am standing. It is raining from the clouds below me to the valley. It was a wonderful experience. I watched the scene half an hour. It was the most beautiful natural scene I have ever scene.

The next scene was of a falcon standing still in the air. The bird was bout 10 meters high from the top most part of the hill. The wind was blowing from the valley below to the top of the hill in a slanting direction. So the king of the birds was able to just stand still in the air, a few meters above my head, watching me and the valley below. Relative to the wind it is flying down against wind direction, but relative to the hill the bird is perfectly standing still without flapping the wings or moving any part of the body. I thought that it might be watching for prey below in the valley, since the falcons do have telescopic view by which they can view very small things like a worm moving on the ground below from a very high altitude.

Some times I have a feeling like all lands of our mother earth are explored by us or our ancestors, and now we don’t have a chance to discover something new. But, in the silence of nature, there are still a lot of things undiscovered, left for us to discover and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment